- It is not a good idea to overwhelm your audience with lengthy paragraphs on the screen. If you do so they will be reading rather than listening to you. And remember:
- A presentation is about you, about what you have to say and not about what is on the screen.
- The screen is there to back what you have to say
- Information – in note form- should be introduced by bullet points
- There shouldn´t be too many bullet points on a page
- Too much animation/photos/ videos can distract the audience
- Background colour and patterns should not hide your notes
The Language of Presentations
Here is some useful vocabulary to introduce, develop and conclude a presentation. It will help you structure your talk and make it more professional.
Emmerson, Paul (2007) Business English Handbook. Advanced, Oxford, MacMillan
- On behalf of …, may I welcome you to …
- For those of you who don´t know me already, my name is …
- Before I begin, I´d like to thank (Sue) for inviting me to speak to you.
- Purpose and structure
- I´m here today to talk to you about …
- I´ve divided my talk into three parts.
- My talk will take around forty minutes.
- First, I´ll look at … , then I´ll show you …, and finally I´ll say a little about …
- Please feel free to interrupt me during the talk if you have any questions.
- I´ll be happy to answer your questions at the end.
- Okay, let´s start with the first point which is …
- Right, that´s all I want to say about … . Any questions so far?
- Moving on now to my next point …
- Let´s turn now to …
- I´ll go into this in more detail in a moment.
- I´ll come back to this later.
- In the first part of my talk I mentioned …
- Going back for a moment to what I said earlier …
- Before going on, I´d just like to say a little about …
- If I can just digress (=side-track) for a moment, …
- So, getting back to my original point, you can see that …
- As you can see from this next slide, …
- Have a look at the diagram on the left …
- That´s an interesting question. I´ll come back to that at the end
- Yes, thank you, I was just coming to that.
- So, just before I finish, let me summarize the main pints again, …
- So, to sum up, I have talked about three main areas. First, … second … and third …
- Right, let´s stop there. Thank you very much for your attention.
- And now, if you have any questions, I´ll be pleased to answer them.
DEALING WITH QUESTIIONS
- That´s a very good question.
- I´m glad you asked that.
- Let me check that I understand. Are you asking …?
- Could you be a little more specific?
- Well, it´s a very complex issue. What are your own views?
- Would anyone like to comment on that?
- (Beatrix), can you help me to answer that?
You lack information
- I don´t have information with me, but I can find out.
- If you leave me your contact details at the end, I´ll send it to you.
Control the timing
- Okay, I think we have time for one last question.